EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Mask are no longer required during “vigorous and strenuous” activities including games. Montgomery County is currently drafting the new language to be published shortly. However we have been provided explicit permission to proceed without masks during games. Per the Director of Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management & Homeland Security,
“We [Montgomery County] are adopting the American Association of Pediatrics interpretation around face coverings which allow them not to be worn during vigorous and strenuous activity. Their interpretation is detailed here: https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/07/22/sportsguidance072220”
Please remember that all other restriction from the County are still in place, specifically the limitation of 50 persons per field. As such we will continue to prohibit spectators on all fields. Spectators, families, and all other visitors must remain in the parking lot or in their vehicles at all times and cannot be on the sidelines of the field or other common areas of the SoccerPlex property. Spectators are reminded that if they choose to leave their vehicles they must wear a mask and maintain social distancing while in the parking lot. Failure to comply with SoccerPlex policies and rules may result in the termination of the game and the loss of future rental privileges. The home team is responsible for informing the visiting team of these polices and general enforcement.
NEW LEAGUE HEALTH AND SAFETY PROTOCOLS FOR THE FALL (revised 9/16)
- Montgomery County has stipulated that there can be no more than 50 people on a field at any given time. As such, we are unable to allow spectators at the fields. Parents must remain in or around their car in the parking lots. Spectators are NOT allowed in any of the grassy embankments or hills or common areas at the SoccerPlex. We ask that you remind mindful of the need to social distance when outside of your car in the parking lot. (EXCEPTION: Parents of 7U and 8U players may deliver their child to the coach at the field and return to the parking lot immediately. They may return to the field to retrieve their child ONLY when the game is completed.)
- No team can have more than twelve (12) people present at the field and no more than two (2) of them can be adults. So, if a team wishes to play eleven (11) players, only one coach can be present. If a team wishes to have two (2) coaches present, no more than ten (10) players can play at that game.
- Parents of players must complete an electronic Health Check form. This form confirms that their child has been asymptomatic and has not had a fever within 12 hours before every game day. If a form is not completed for a player, that player may not participate on that day.
- Social distancing between players while on the sideline. Benches will not be provided by the SoccerPlex and teams may not use their own benches.
- Masks are optional for players while actively playing in the game. Mask are required for players while on the sideline and at all other times
- Masks must be worn by coaches and referees at all times.
- Masks must be worn by parents and all others at all times while on the SoccerPlex campus and not in cars.
- Sanitation stations have been added to each field grouping and at comfort stations
- Game times will be staggered to allow for less people around the fields.
- Players and coaches may not offer handshakes or high fives or similar greetings and congratulatory gestures that involve physical contact.
- The referee must maintain appropriate social distance when meeting with captains prior to the match or addressing teams.
- Only one captain per team meets at the center circle prior to the match.
- Teams must vacate quickly after their match and may not show prior to the match more than 15 minutes early.
- No sharing of water bottles, pinnies and other equipment is allowed.
- Teams must pick up all trash and place in receptacles when leaving the site.
The SAM Recreational league is a league that seeks to promote the values of sportsmanship and teamwork through the beautiful game of soccer. All games are played at the award-winning Maryland SoccerPlex in Germantown. The SAM Recreational League provides a positive environment for children to learn and develop while having fun with friends and teammatess.
League Information (tentative)
Fall 2020 SAM Recreation League Dates: September 18-November 8 (Games WILL be played the weekend of October 9-11)
Open to boys and girls ages 5 – 18; Click here to see SAM Rec Age Chart
Information about our 4v4 SAM league for the 6U and 7U players born in 2015 and 2014 please click here
SAM Recreation League Cost - Fall 2020
The cost to participate is $155. Effective at 12:01am on Thursday, September 3, a $10 late fee will apply.
(Note: If you have already registered your child for the fall season for a zero fee, your household account will be debited for $155. You must pay the fee by 11:59pm on Tuesday, September 2, or your child's fall registration will be deleted.)
We strongly suggest for each player to register online! To do so, click here!
Scholarships- For the fall 2020 season, no grants or scholarships will be available. We hope to offer grants in spring 2021.
Coaches and Managers
The SAM Recreational League needs coaches and managers! It's easy, fun and a great way for you to make a difference in your players' lives! No experience necessary! Our management team will support you in every way possible, including practice fields, scheduling considerations, basic equipment and coaching education. SAM League coaches must register every season they coach and are required to submit a background check application once a year. You can complete the volunteer registration at the same time you register your child. Just click on the link above to start the registration process.
SAM Soccer Modified Rules - Fall 2020
Please click on the link on the top left hand side of this page to see Fall 2020 modified rules.
Important Dates - Fall 2020 Season (all dates subject to change)
August 31- Coach Schedule Request deadline
September 3- Late fee begins for unpaid or late registrations
September 4- Practice Schedule Released
September 9- Game Schedule Released
September 18-20- Opening weekend
September 29- Rec registration deadine
November 6-8- Final weekend of games
Fair Play Please – SAM’s Sportsmanship Program
Fair Play Please is the initiative from SAM Soccer to help promote sportsmanship from coaches, players, and parents to all. Sometimes we can get a bit involved in a game and Fair Play Please is to remind that it is only a game and winning is not everything. The team that displays exceptional sportsmanship throughout the entire season will win our Fair Play Please t-shirt, and be recognized on the website, and social media. Throughout the season we ask that you remind teammates, coaches, and other parents to promote Fair Play Please!
FIRST TIME COACH - No problem. Check out this link or email email@example.com for ideas
What do I need to get my child to get them ready to play soccer?
Your child will receive a full uniform from SAM that must be worn on gamedays (socks, shorts, shirt) however you must supply shin guards and cleats for your child. We do have coupons for Dick’s Sporting Goods for you! Click here for coupons! (coming soon). In the spring, returning players will wear the uniform they were issued in the fall. New and transfer players will receive a new uniform.
Does my child practice and where are practices?
Most Recreational League coaches practice once or twice during the week. The location is determined by the coach; however, we try our best to form teams geographically so that practice is not far for the team.
When and where are games?
There won’t be a consistent time from week to week that your child will play. We do our best to have most games on Saturday, but teams will typically have at least 2 Sunday games. (Exception: Barring makeups of rained out games, 7U teams will play only on Saturdays and game times will generally be between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.)
All games are at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Germantown. The field will differ each week as well. When the schedule is released you will be able to find out all this information under our schedule section!